Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Oh the Places You will Go" Map Shelf and Vacation Memories Display

This has been an idea at least 10 years in the making. I was one of those odd little girls that enjoyed reading decorating magazines while all my friends were reading Teen. In one of the magazines, I came across a picture of this long shelf with tiny bottles displayed on it. Within those bottles were pieces of the earth from all parts of the world. I remembered thinking how wonderful it would be to visit all those exotic places one day. Right then and there, I decided to start my own collection. Now, 10 years later, I've finally begun to display some of my collection and hope to add loads more from many more destinations to come.

Time: 1 hour

Supplies:
Old spice rack
Old shelf
Recycled Map
Trip brochures
Mod Podge

Steps:
1. Gather supplies

2. Measure shelf ledges and cut map pieces to fit
3. Mod Podge the ledges and cover with map pieces
4. Clip with clothes pins and let dry then Mod Podge the tops of map pieces
5. Find travel brochures from past trips and trace spice container lids on chosen picture
6. Glue on top of lids then label locations and dates on the pictures. When dry, Mod Podge over all.
7. Fill containers with elements from your past vacations (shells, sand, rocks, etc.)
8. Display and visit daily for fond memory recollection



I entered this in Crafting with the Stars, so stop by and check it out!

6 comments:

  1. This is delightful! I love maps on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know how happy this just made me :):):)
    http://twitter.com/modpodgerocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable- such a great idea, and I wish I had been collecting these things all along too:)
    C:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ashley! This is really clever, I love the idea of the spice jars for memento display!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I get to add Paris to my collection this May! :)

    ReplyDelete